Powered By Blogger

About My Blog

My photo
Ireland
Welcome to my blog! In my school (and many other schools in Ireland), fourth year - the year after our Junior Cert - is optional. It's a non-exam-based year but there's still plenty to do like projects in various subjects, work experience, competitions and trying out loads of new things! This year, a new idea was brought into TY; for each student to write a blog on their year...so this is my blog about my experience of TY. I started writing it in Spetember/October and it'll go up to the end of May when we get our Summer holidays and TY is over... If you're thinking of doing TY or if you just want to know more make sure you send me questions and I'll try my best to answer! Enjoy reading it!!

Monday, March 7, 2011

Work Experience Day 1

This week I'm in the Criminal Courts of Justice for Work Experience. I was a little bit nervous going in this morning because I had to get the bus into Dublin city and even though it's only about a half hour away, I'm not a big fan of Dublin and always have no sense of direction and therefore get lost very easily! I was rather proud however because I managed to get to Phoenix House in Smithfield - where I was meeting my contact - without getting lost or having to ask for directions (although I did get off at the wrong bus stop but I was very early so it didn't make a difference!). When I met my contact we went up to her office and I signed some paperwork re work experience. She told me a little bit about the courts and then we got on the Luas (which conveniently had a stop outside the building) and went up to the criminal courts of justice where I'll spend the week. She introduced me to my supervisor, Ann-Marie. After she left Ann-Marie showed me around and then told me what I'd be doing for the day....
I had to take a pile of court order sheet things and then stamp them with the date the person was due to arrive in court...that took a good while. Then I separated them into two piles depending on the time of the trial. Then I put them in alphabetical order and ticked them off a list. I did that for all of the court cases this Wednesday and for some of the Thursday ones. I was allowed to take lunch any time between 12.30 and 2 for as long or as little as I wanted. I went from 1 till 1.35 (I had soup in a little cafe). I finished at 4. The bus-stop is just across the road which is dead handy! And then my bus (66) came straight away!!! I was very happy... :)
I'm really looking forward to the rest of the week...on Wednesday I'm going a tour with a school (so yeah, a school tour) around the courts and I'll also get to the see the courts in action!
The courst are very different ot the hospital (where I went on my last work experience). It's a much slower pace (if that makes any sense) and just totally different....I really enjoyed today...I'll write again tomorrow :)

1 comment: