Powered By Blogger

About My Blog

My photo
Ireland
Welcome to my blog! In my school (and many other schools in Ireland), fourth year - the year after our Junior Cert - is optional. It's a non-exam-based year but there's still plenty to do like projects in various subjects, work experience, competitions and trying out loads of new things! This year, a new idea was brought into TY; for each student to write a blog on their year...so this is my blog about my experience of TY. I started writing it in Spetember/October and it'll go up to the end of May when we get our Summer holidays and TY is over... If you're thinking of doing TY or if you just want to know more make sure you send me questions and I'll try my best to answer! Enjoy reading it!!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Part 2: The Parade

Well today is St. Patrick's Day and originally I didn't have any plans, but in the end I went into Dublin with my mam and my sister for the St. Patrick's day parade. We got a great spot on O'Connell Bridge, near enough to where it starts. We were waiting for a while but, luckily, the weather stayed nice (it was mainly sunny and not too cold!) and at around 12.30 the first of the acts passed by. There was a huge variety in the number of participants, and they came from all over Ireland and all over the world. There were marching bands from American high schools (as well as from Ireland), floats with really unusual characters, dancers, horses, dogs (from the Garda unit) and loads more! Even around me in the audience there were people from England, Texas, New Zealand and Italy! It's so cool to see so many people celebrating St. Patrick's Day with us...everyone there was wearing leprachaun hats, green scarves, boppers (those hair-bands with springy things on top) and tops with Ireland written on them...even if they weren't Irish!

We were standing right opposite the RTE booth (much to my dismay) and my sister was on tv...hehe :L (I don't think I was thankfully - náireacht!). The parade was great...by the end I was wrecked though from standing for so long...my legs were so stiff...but I'm glad I went! Check out my post called "Parade Pics" for the photos I took...

No comments:

Post a Comment