Powered By Blogger

About My Blog

My photo
Ireland
Welcome to my blog! In my school (and many other schools in Ireland), fourth year - the year after our Junior Cert - is optional. It's a non-exam-based year but there's still plenty to do like projects in various subjects, work experience, competitions and trying out loads of new things! This year, a new idea was brought into TY; for each student to write a blog on their year...so this is my blog about my experience of TY. I started writing it in Spetember/October and it'll go up to the end of May when we get our Summer holidays and TY is over... If you're thinking of doing TY or if you just want to know more make sure you send me questions and I'll try my best to answer! Enjoy reading it!!

Friday, February 18, 2011

Mid-Term Break Next Week!

I can't believe it's already the February mid-term!!! Seems like only yesterday we were coming back after Christmas!!! I'm going to spending some of my week off in the Gaeltacht for a cinnire training course...speaking Irish! :)
I'm glad today is nearly over because there were a lot of projects due in today (our Tech F1 in Schools car design, our Mini Company report booklet & our Geography diseases of poverty project!).
I had a slight mishap with the printer at home last night (I had no colour ink-only black and white!) and I was afraid I wouldn't get it printed out, but I got it done in the end.Our mini-company report looks really good now...we just had a few small changes but all in all we didn't have much to do today and we got it submitted without any hassle. Our car for F1 had to be finished off and I was a bit worried that we wouldn't get it done but thanks to Mia and Mr. W, we emailed the designs off after lunch.
So today has been busy but very productive!! And now we've the week off to recover!!! :L (from what?!) lol :)
Happy Mid-term everyone!!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi! My name is Mrs. Beth Gentrup and I will be your guest teacher on your blog. I teach 7th & 8th grade students in Nebraska. I teach gifted education and we mainly work with technology.
    I am finding the Mini Company you talk about interesting. How do you decide on the company and set it up? What is the Gaeltacht? I know I have a lot of questions but inquiring minds want to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth!
    Firstly...thanks for reading my blog!:)
    For the Mini Company project we get into groups. There are seven other girls in my group, four groups in my class and about five in the other Transition Yeaar class. We decide among ourselves what sort of product we want to make/sell etc. This year the judges were looking for something that solves a problem and that's cheap to sell. So a girl in my group came up with a knot opener! The competition regional finals are next week.
    The gaeltacht...well in Ireland our national language is irish...even though we speak english. A gaeltacht area is an area where the people who live there speak irish all the time. In the summer time, irish teenagers go on residential courses for three weeks to the gaeltacht to improve their irish and have some fun! The one I go to is called Colaiste Na BhFiann (directly translated it means soldiers college but its nothing to do with soldiers! It's pronounced like cuh-losh-ta na veen). In it there are people called cinnires who help out and stuff on the courses so tomorrow I'm going on a training course to learn what to do as a cinnire...sorry if that makes no sense!
    I don't mind answering questions at all by the way so ask away!
    Aisling :)

    ReplyDelete