Powered By Blogger

About My Blog

My photo
Ireland
Welcome to my blog! In my school (and many other schools in Ireland), fourth year - the year after our Junior Cert - is optional. It's a non-exam-based year but there's still plenty to do like projects in various subjects, work experience, competitions and trying out loads of new things! This year, a new idea was brought into TY; for each student to write a blog on their year...so this is my blog about my experience of TY. I started writing it in Spetember/October and it'll go up to the end of May when we get our Summer holidays and TY is over... If you're thinking of doing TY or if you just want to know more make sure you send me questions and I'll try my best to answer! Enjoy reading it!!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Desert Flower by Waris Dirie

This book is about a super-model, Waris Dirie. In it, she tells the story of her life. She was born into a Somalian herding family. At age 13, after her father arranged for her to marry a man in his sixties, she ran away from home and went to live with her aunt. Eventually, she left for London where she then went on to develop a career as a model. In this story she highlights the horrors of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) and how it had a huge affect on her life and the lives of millions of African girls in the past, and still to this day.
I thought this book was very sad as Waris clearly had a very difficult childhood and suffered a lot throughout her life. I did, however, find it very interesting and eye-opening as it highlighted to me the horrors of FGM and how so many young girls here to suffer at the hands of this outrageous custom. I didn't realise that it was such a prominent issue still present in the world today. It was also a very inspiring story as it showed how, by her independance and courage, a girl of a very disadvantaged upbringing could make such a good life for herself and could achieve happiness. I thought it was a really brilliant book.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your review Aisling. Sounds like you enjoyed the read.

    Mrs L :)

    ReplyDelete