Powered By Blogger

About My Blog

My photo
Ireland
Welcome to my blog! In my school (and many other schools in Ireland), fourth year - the year after our Junior Cert - is optional. It's a non-exam-based year but there's still plenty to do like projects in various subjects, work experience, competitions and trying out loads of new things! This year, a new idea was brought into TY; for each student to write a blog on their year...so this is my blog about my experience of TY. I started writing it in Spetember/October and it'll go up to the end of May when we get our Summer holidays and TY is over... If you're thinking of doing TY or if you just want to know more make sure you send me questions and I'll try my best to answer! Enjoy reading it!!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Work Experience Day 4

Well today was my last day in the hospital and I'm really gonna miss it!! I was in the physiotherapy department today with three other TY students (every other day I was by myself so it was a nice change!!). I saw out-patients with normal problems such as back and neck, and in-patients with respiratory problems. I didn't realise that physiotherapists helped with that sort of thing so it was definitely another learning curve!!
Out of all the departments I was in this week I found nursing most exciting and I definitely enjoyed that experience the most (helped by the very nice nurse who I shadowed!!). However, in terms of a career, I would probably be most interested in pursuing a career in pharmacy - I found this to be interesting and the hours weren't as bad as some of the other departments. I can definitely say that I would love to work in a hospital anyway. The staff were all friendly and had good relationships which is very important in a workplace. As well as that, although it was hard to see how sick some people are, it felt nice when they showed an improvement, and I'd love to be able to help someone get better.
I definitely feel that work experience is going to be one of this year's highlights for me and was educational in sooo many ways. I learnt loads about myself too and I have a new understanding of what it takes to work in a hospital environment. I also realised how hard people work in that sort of a job (especially the nurses!!).
Thanks to Naas General Hospital for giving me such a fantastic opportunity and to all the staff and patients who allowed me to be there and observe what was happening!!
I'm off to Tirmohan National School tomorrow for my final day off this installment of work experience. I'm really looking forward to seeing how a totally different working environment works from day to day.
I'll write again tomorrow.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment